- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut apple in half and remove core. Cut each half into slices approximately ⅛-inch thick.
- Stir together brown sugar and water in medium saucepan. Add apple slices. Cook, stirring gently over medium heat, until apple slices are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cranberries in bottom of nonstick or greased 9-inch cake pan. Arrange apple slices over cranberries, drizzling with brown sugar sauce. Set aside.
- In large bowl or mixer, beat butter with granulated sugar until thoroughly combined. Add applesauce and egg.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently blend into applesauce mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples and cranberries, spreading evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes before turning cake out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Makes: 10 servings.