This recipe saves calories by substituting equal parts cooking oil with Mott's applesauce.
- ¾ cup Mott’s® Applesauce Cinnamon
⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup molasses
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Maple whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugars, butter, applesauce, egg, and molasses. Mix all ingredients together well.
- In another medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture, and mix until just combined. Stir in water and pour mixed batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the gingerbread comes out clean.
- Remove gingerbread from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Serve with whipped cream and caramel sauce – get creative with your decorating!