This recipe saves calories by substituting equal parts cooking oil with Mott's applesauce.
- 1¼ cups Mott’s® Original Applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup golden raisins
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 16 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine applesauce, sugar, vanilla, eggs, carrots, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and pineapple with juice in a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix ingredients together well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Mix together completely, but do not overstir.
- Pour into two lightly greased 8-inch cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until nice and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar, and beat until smooth.
- Invert the first cake onto a cake plate or stand and apply a generous dollop of icing and spread evenly.
- Gently place the second cake on top and continue icing until the entire cake is covered evenly with icing.
- Decorate with chopped nuts, coconut – get creative and have fun!