Savory Sausage & Apple Stuffing
This recipe saves calories by substituting equal parts cooking oil with Mott's applesauce.
- 1 cup Mott's® No Sugar Added Applesauce Granny Smith
1 lb. Italian sausage, ground
- 1 cup celery stalk, ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup yellow onion, ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, ¼-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups French bread, ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp table salt
1 pinch black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove sausage and place in bowl.
- Sauté celery, onion, apple, and garlic until softened. Add applesauce, parsley, sage, and bay leaf, and cook until heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- Combine sausage, softened vegetables, and bread in bowl.
- Whisk together milk, broth, salt, pepper, butter, and eggs. Pour over sausage mixture and combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake 50 minutes until stuffing has reached a golden brown color.
- Remove from oven and serve